Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 3 bell peppers (preferrably 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 green) cored and sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander*
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 12 6-inch flour tortillas
- Cilantro, sour cream, salsa, guacamole or sliced avocados, shredded Mexican cheese (optional)
- Pour half of the canned tomatoes into the bottom of a slow cooker and spread into an even layer. Top with half of the peppers and half of the onions. Sprinkle garlic in. Top with chicken breasts.
- In a bowl whisk together chili powder, cumin, paprika, coriander, salt and pepper. Evenly sprinkle half of the seasoning over chicken breasts then flip chicken and sprinkle in remainder. Top with remaining half of the tomatoes, then layer in remaining peppers and onions.
- Cover and cook on HIGH heat about 2 - 3 hours or low heat 4 - 6 hours, until chicken has cooked through and veggies are tender.*
- Remove chicken, and cut into strips, or shred. Ladle out 1 cup of the broth in slow cooker (mostly tomato liquid) and discard.
- In a small bowl whisk together lime juice and honey and add to slow cooker along with chicken and season with additional salt to taste if desired (I sometimes like to add 1/4 cup chopped cilantro too here but this is optional). Gently toss. Serve warm in warmed tortillas optional toppings.
- *Oregano can be substituted for coriander. Much different flavor but another delicious option for fajitas.